Pages

Anja's Artblog

Monday 6 February 2012

Who cares about the Mona Lisa anyway...?


I've been to that Leonardo Da Vinci exhibition in London last week...♥

Cos the tickets available in advance are sold out since the beginning of December we came nice and early and well-prepared for queueing, to hopefully get our hands on two of those 500 tickets they hand out daily.
We arrived around 6ish and there were already more than 100 people waiting, do you even believe that..?
It was crazy...like queueing for a rock concert or smth. But those 4+ freezing cold hours were so worth it.

 The exhibition was amazing. 

(If there just wouldn't have been so many people who just went there for the sake of going, wandering around with their stupid audio guides, looking like pathetic robots, and wondering why they couldn't find the Mona Lisa anywhere...)

It was impressive to see some of those well-known paintings in real size, and beeing able to get so close that you could see the brush strokes and beautiful textures, but for me the most interesting works were his unfinished paintings and those wonderful sketchbook pages. They really provided an insight into Da Vinci's genius mind and the way he has been working, in a way no analysing book would be able to.



 
I would've loved to make a few further sketches, but I only had time to focus on some faces, which I enjoyed studying since Leonardo really was a master of capturing expression as well as the extremes of beauty and ugliness which are recurring subjects.

If you are currently out and about near London and have the chance to go I'd really recommend this exhibition!!
[Edit] I'm sorry...apparently it ended yesterday. ._. Shame on me, I should've written this earlier. But oh well...now it's all said and I'm not gonna delete it. :,D

No comments:

Post a Comment